Volunteers play an important role as ambassadors for The Millay Society. We are looking for enthusiastic, fun and friendly volunteers to join our team.
There are a variety of ways that volunteers can help:
- Tour Guide/Docent volunteers provide friendly visitor orientation, information, and interpretation to increase understanding and appreciation of the poet’s life at Steepletop. Responsibilities include leading tours of the house and grounds. Guides explain the history of the house and its contents, as well as lead visitors through its historic rooms. Guides also walk the grounds, explaining how Millay transformed the property during the 25 years she lived her. This is a great opportunity to develop your public speaking skills
- Gift Shop Assistants volunteers greet visitors, answer questions, staff the admissions desk, and assist in the gift shop.
- Grounds and Garden volunteers help with the upkeep of the grounds and gardens. They weed the gardens, remove debris and assist the Head Gardener with the on-going restoration of Millay's 13 "garden rooms".
- Building Maintenance volunteers assist our caretaker with the upkeep of the property and buildings. They are handy with a hammer and a saw. They like to paint.
- Administrative volunteers help behind the scenes with mailings, filing, and data entry. They may also help with boxing and shipping merchandise sold on-line.
- Library Project volunteers help with the cataloging of Millay's library and historical archives.
- Special Events/Projects volunteers may do a variety of things. These volunteers staff the event check-in desk, park cars, drive a golf cart, set-up, clean-up, and provide refreshments as needed during on-site and off-site events.
Community Service for High School Students: Opportunities for high school students seeking community service credit are also available. Projects include assistance with special events, program preparation and cleanup, basic research, data entry, etc.
Volunteers are asked to contribute a minimum of 2 hours at a time, at least once a month. No prior knowledge or experience is necessary; volunteers will receive onsite training by the staff. If you are interested in learning more about volunteering with us, please phone us on 518-392-3362 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to volunteer at Steepletop, please print out the Volunteer Form and it to us via email or fax. We'd love to have you join us!